When life gives you leftover candied orange peel, make blondies!
Okay, okay, I stole this idea from one of the 20 million holiday catalogs we’ve gotten since August. Having both candied orange peel and almonds in the house, I decided to see if I could come up with a recipe.
I started by toasting about a cup of almonds. I used blanched because that’s what I had but I don’t see any problem with using skins.
Then, I couldn’t find my camera. So a bunch of stuff happened that didn’t get captured digitally. Here is the short of it though: I melted together butter and white chocolate. Incorporated the usual suspects: eggs, sugar, flour and a healthy does of vanilla (no silly, not in that order). Finally, I folded-in the toasted almonds and orange peel. Into the oven. And.
This is what came out. The orange peel sort of melts into blondie and the result is a sweet/zesty/nutty treat. Sort of like me.
Once cut, I packaged them up and took them to a cookie decorating party.
Glee Christmas on Pandora, because I’m perfectly confident with my manhood.
Candied Orange Peel and Toasted Almond Blondies
- 2 C sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 C (16 TBS) unsalted butter
- 6 ounces white chocolate, chopped
- 4 eggs
- 1 TBS vanilla
- 2 C flour
- 1 C chopped candied orange peel
- 1 C roasted and chopped almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9X13 inch pan with parchment and butter or spray the pan and parchment.
- In a heavy saucepan, melt butter and white chocolate over low heat, whisking until combined. Take off heat and set aside. Butter and chocolate will want to separate. That’s okay, just give it a good whisk before adding to the batter.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar and salt. Add-in eggs one-at-a-time. Then whisk in vanilla.
- Fold-in butter and chocolate.
- Fold-in flour until just combined.
- Fold-in orange peel and almonds.
- Bake for about 40 minutes or until an inserted toothpick come-out clean but with a few crumbs stuck to it.
- Let cool completely, cut and enjoy.
« Straight Outta Compton Next Post
I’m pretty sure this is what Marie Antoinette was talking about »